Mercedes-Benz SLS 1960
The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, famed for its distinctive gullwing doors, appeared in a new guise in 1957: At the Geneva Motor Show, held that year from March 14-24, Daimler-Benz unveiled a fleet-footed roadster (W 198 II series). It was the company’s answer to the demand for a high-performance open-top sports car.
The roadster succeeded the 300 SL Gullwing coupe built from 1954 to 1957. Compared with its predecessor, the roadster had a slightly modified front end and vertically arranged headlamp lenses. It also boasted improved running gear, the most significant design difference being a modification to the coupe space frame which allowed lower entry sills for easier access to the roadster and doors hinged at the front. These changes also made it possible to accommodate the easy-to-open soft-top roof.